05 September 2011

Cloud frosting

When Pinterest showed me a yummy cupcake with what looked like marshmallow cream on top, I set out on a serious journey to find the recipe. Turns out it's a Martha Stewart frosting, and most of the ingredients were already in my kitchen.
It tastes like marshmallow cream, to me. But tastier. If your making it for cupcakes, I recommend a chocolate or pumpkin. The Vanilla is really good, but I think it would go best with chocolate. (and because I have a crap ton of icing left, I'm going to make chocolate cupcakes after I finish this post)
It is kind of necessary to have a stand mixer.

Frosting Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 6 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cupcakes
  • 1 box of cake mix, follow those instructions
\\ Follow the instructions on your cake box and make your cupcakes. (or whatever else you want to do instead of cupcakes) I used Betty crocker. Secret tip to keep your cupcakes super moist, use 1/2 cup of oil instead of 1/3 cup.

\\ In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, egg whites, water, and cream of tartar. Whisk until foamy.
Also, don't listen when your Mother tells you you don't know how to work with Egg whites and continues to let it mix. (We mixed it completely, past foaminess, to something that looked creamy. It turned out the same though, I think. Do what you please)
\\ Set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, about 3 to 5 minutes. At this point, ours was creamy, but we followed the directions anyways, and warmed it up.

\\ Transfer bowl to stand mixer (If you don't already have it in one) fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 12 to 16 minutes. Stiff Peaks people, Stiff peaks! This took a while. Probably a full 16 minutes.

\\ Add vanilla and beat until combined. I don't know why we add this last. Maybe so the vanilla doesn't get lost in the whipping process?

\\ Transfer to a pastry bag (Or zip lock bag if you are like me and still haven't invested in one) or smear it on with a spoon/knife. We cut about an inch tip on the plastic bag. I only got to frost one before my mom took the bag and did the rest. I guess she likes that part? Make sure your cupcakes are completely cool.
 Spiral it if your fancy. I'm probably going to do that with my chocolate batch.
Find a creative way to store them! We used a big picnic food net and sat it over them to keep everything off. It worked pretty well. Happy Labor day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. And you, and you, and you...